I basically finished installing on Sunday, the day before the opening. The humidity was super high, so the tiles were becoming re-saturated with moisture, and thus, softening and beginning to slide. All of this was leaving me pretty anxious about if things would stay in place until the opening. Then, Sunday night, it poured all night! I just kept thinking, there’s no way it’s all going to in tact after this rain. So Monday morning, I went back to the museum to assess the damage. And… it was actually ok! One tile had fallen off, but a staff member picked it up and kept it in her office for me, so I was able to put it back up. I decided to put up a little more sugar “glue” between the tiles, kind of like grout, to help keep things set. The icing I use for this dries hard and doesn’t rehydrate like the tiles do, so it makes for more secure adhesion.
Here are the photos of the last touch ups and then the final product.
Posted by admin on June 19th, 2009 :: Filed under Memoria (Brazil)
Tags :: azulejo, Brazil, public art, salvador, slavery, sugar